In Dnipro, the monument to the Communards - a monument to the participants of the revolutionary events of 1905 - was dismantled. After dismantling, the structure will be transferred for storage to the "ZooControl" communal enterprise; responsibility for its preservation is assigned to the administration of the Amur-Nizhnedniprovskyi district, reports the local Telegram channel.
The demolition was part of the decommunization and decolonization of urban space. The process was delayed due to lack of funds back in 2026. In March, the structure was covered with a net and the memorial plaque, which mentioned revolutionary events in Katerynoslav, was removed. Serhii Volynets, head of the Ukrainian Center for Historical and Cultural Strategies, demanded that the city authorities demolish the structure by summer.
What kind of monument was it?
The monument was erected in 1958 on Karuna Street in the Amur-Nizhnedniprovskyi district. According to the official Soviet version, 25 activist workers from local factories were buried here. The monument depicted an armed worker with a flag and a soldier. There is no historical confirmation of mass reburials at this location.